Video marketing is perhaps the “hottest” tactic in internet marketing, providing numerous search engine optimization, user experience, and conversion optimization benefits. [Effective] Video marketing can move your website further up the search engine ranks, generate more traffic to your website from video hosting sites, instill more confidence in your visitors and help you pre-sell services and set client expectations.
Key Video Marketing Statistics
- A Forrester.com study shows that video has a 11,000-to-1 chance of making it onto the first page, whereas text has a 500,000-to-1 chance of appearing on the first page of results. source: Forrester
- Online listings with video receive 70% more views. source: Angie’s List
- A minute of video is worth 1.8 million words according to Dr. James McQuivey of Forrester Research. source: Forrester, Janurary 2009
- Online video advertising can increase brand awareness by 51% after just two exposures to video ads. source: AdNews
- By 2014, its expected that 90% of internet traffic and 66% of all mobile data will be video.
- According to Website Magazine, video is a driver of consumer confidence. Consumers are willing to watch videos 60% of the time they are found. source: Website Magazine
- Dell credits video with reducing service call volumes by 5%. Virgin Mobile expects video to reduce call volumes by 14% in 2011. source: The Australian, December 2010
- Landing pages with professional video generate 4-7x more engagement and response rates. source: SearchEngineWatch
- Zappos reports a 6% to 30% increase in sales for products with video. source: ReelSEO, December 2009
- Video boosts conversion rates by an average of 9%. source: Internet Retailer, October 2010
- Video in email marketing has shown to increase click-through rates by over 96%. source: Implix
While these stats are surely impressive, it is not to say that video marketing is the cure-all, end-all solution for your internet marketing campaign. Just like SEO, video marketing is not the ‘Field of Dreams’ — you will need to actively promote and optimize (A/B test) your videos, or hire an expert who can help you out. Most importantly, your video needs to be engaging — no one wants to listen to a monotone talking head!
A point for clarity: when I say promote, that means distribute to many sources, as well as doing some social bookmarking to your video on YouTube.
Expanding your video marketing reach with ‘other’ video sites
So now that you have your professional video, you just upload it to YouTube, fill in some details, and your done, right? I mean after all, YouTube is the world’s second largest search engine and has over 4 billion daily global online video views! Wrong! While YouTube is an absolute quintessential part of any video marketing campaign, distributing your video far and wide will not only increase your website traffic, but it will also help on the SEO front with backlinks as well.
Below you will find a list of 120 video sharing websites that you can upload your videos to for free. I’ve [painstakingly] taken the time to manually review each site, primarily making sure they weren’t an adult video site. I’ve also use link index data to remove low value content sharing sites, primarily based on Open Site Explorer data.
Please bear in mind that the original list was over 500 sites, so there is a possibility that an adult site slipped into the mix. Please let me know (email: jake at avvo.com) if you find any adult related sites and I will update the list immediately!