Despite all our focus on social media, email marketing still remains the #1 way to reach clients and prospects with your law firm marketing message. According to the latest Pew Internet & American Life Project report, email remains the top use of the Internet across all age groups.
If you don’t already have a regular email marketing campaign in place – like a monthly e-newsletter – here are some tips on creating an effective law firm marketing email marketing program:
- Build a good list at every opportunity – when you get a new client, from your website or blog, or via social media. Give away a free report on a topic of interest to your ideal client to collect email addresses.
- Only send emails to people who have agreed to receive them. Include an opt-out option in every email you send.
- Be sure your content is always relevant to your audience and always include one clear call-to-action.
- Send your email on a consistent basis – a monthly e-newsletter is a perfect example.
- Email marketing studies show that the best times for sending B2B emails is Tuesday through Thursday between 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- The best times for sending B2C emails is Tuesday through Thursday between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. or on the weekend.
- Keep the “from” name consistent – use your name or the name of your firm.
- Use clear, concise subject lines that make it clear what your email is about. Don’t get too creative – studies show that open rates are much better for straightforward subject lines.
- Be sure to include both a text and an HTML version of your e-newsletter to ensure all your recipients can see it.
- Do not use ALL CAPS or exclamation marks in your emails as these trigger spam filters.
Everyone’s attention span is getting shorter as multiple mediums for messaging continue to grow. A significant percentage of us now read emails on our smartphones or tablets, so be sure you use an email delivery service like Constant Contact or iContact (two of many) that will help ensure your messages are delivered appropriately.
About the author: Stephen Fairley is the CEO of The Rainmaker Institute, the nation’s largest law firm marketing company specializing in lead conversion for small law firms and solo practitioners. Over 8,000 attorneys nationwide have benefited from learning and implementing the proven marketing and lead conversion strategies taught by The Rainmaker Institute. In addition, Stephen is a nationally recognized law firm marketing expert and international best-selling author.